- 1/2 small red onion
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar (or use 1 teaspoon honey for a non-vegan version)
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups large Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup finely grated pecorino romano (optional, for a non-vegan version)
- Soak the onion slices in a small bowl of cold water for 15 to 20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, honey, mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Set aside.
- Trim all of the Brussels sprouts, cutting off any bruised outer leaves and slicing off a good portion of the hard root end. Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, shave the sprouts one at a time. When you’re done, use your fingers to gently separate the leaves so that the shredded sprouts resemble a very fine slaw.
- Drain the onions. Put the sprouts in a serving bowl and toss gently with the onions and the dressing. Fold in the pecorino if adding cheese, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of www.treehugger.com